To be a world leader in the provision of a superior national road network
As the custodian of the national road network, we are committed to the creation of economic value for the nation, through the provision of road infrastructure with:
- A motivated and professional team;
- Consideration for community needs;
- State-of-the-art technology;
- Proficient service providers; and
- The ‘user-pays’ principle
THE PURPOSE OF THE COMPANY
The purpose of the company, which is registered in terms of the Companies Act – with the Minister of Transport as the sole shareholder – is to maintain and develop South Africa’s expanding national road network (currently 21,403 km) and to manage assets with a depreciated replacement value of R238 billion (excluding land).
SINCE THE ADVENT OF DEMOCRACY IN SOUTH AFRICA
- Government has sought to realign its public expenditure and the financing of public services to redress the imbalances of the past.
- Recognising the enormity of many demands on the fiscus and the advantage of constructive engagement with the private sector, SANRAL has proactively sought alter-native sources of finance for road infrastructure and opportunities to reduce dependence on tax-based revenues.
CORE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE IN ROAD DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT
SANRAL harnesses more than 600 person years of core skills and experience in road development and management within a highly motivated, pro-fessional and passionate team of people operating out of its Tshwane (Pretoria) head office and four regional offices located in Tshwane (Pretoria), Cape Town, Pietermaritzburg and Port Elizabeth.
SANRAL’S PRINCIPAL TASKS ARE TO:
- Strategically plan, design, construct, operate, rehabilitate and maintain South Africa’s national roads in order to mobilise our economy;
- Generate revenues from the development and management of its assets;
- Undertake research and development to en-hance the quality of life of all South African citizens, with particular emphasis on their social and economic well-being;
- Advise the Minister of Transport on matters relating to South Africa’s roads; and
- Finance, plan, construct, provide, operate and maintain roads in neighbouring countries upon request from the Minister of Transport and in agreement with the respective countries.
THESE ARE IN LINE WITH THE STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES OF SANRAL, AS DEFINED IN ITS STRATEGIC VISION, I.E.:
- The management of a national road network ensuring best value for money.
- To continuously improve the efficiency of business practices.
- To maintain market confidence.
- To carry out Government’s targeted programmes to better the life of all citizens.
- Safer roads for all.
- To work in co-operative partnership with road users, transport providers, relevant authorities and the private sector.
- To be a good employer managing SANRAL’s business efficiently and effectively and to seek continuous improvement.
- To achieve international best practices.
- To encourage innovation in knowledge and practice.
- To research, discover and excel.
- To market our solutions to road users.