Chris is a Professionally registered Civil Engineer. He holds a Higher National Diploma in Civil Engineering from an institution in South Africa, as well as a BSc Civil Engineering degree (Summa cum Laude) from the Florida A & M University, in the USA. He has obtained various certificates and diplomas in management, executive and board leadership. Over his 39 year career in engineering, he has been a Consulting Engineer in Infrastructure Development having worked for several local companies, large and small, in various capacities. He spent some time as a Railway Engineer and Senior Manager in Transnet Freight Rail, as well as having been an Executive in a major precast concrete manufacturing subsidiary of the Aveng Group of companies, operating in South Africa, Zambia, Mozambique and Swaziland, before being appointed as CEO to Consulting Engineers South Africa (CESA), which position he currently holds and has held since December 2015.
Some of his institutional involvements over the past 24 years include:
– Past Vice President – South African Institution of Civil Engineering (SAICE);
– Past Vice President – Engineering Council of South Africa, (ECSA);
– Past President – Engineering Council of South Africa, (ECSA);
– Past Council Member of the Council for the Built Environment (CBE);
– Past Vice President – World Federation of Engineering Organisations (WFEO);
– Executive Director of the Secretariat Host for FIDIC Africa;
– Chairman of the Built Environment Professions Export Council (BEPEC);
– Exco Member of the Construction Sector Charter Council (CSCC);
– Chairman of the FIDIC Directors & Secretaries Advisory Council;
– Board member of Business Unity South Africa (BUSA);
- Chairman of Juno Ridge Board of Trustees;
He has featured on matters related to the engineering profession and the built environment industry in South Africa in various print, radio, television, digital and social media platforms as well as presented at and directed various industry related conferences and webinars internationally. He has a passion for problem solving, networking, good governance, conflict resolution and ethics and has over time developed a sense of political astuteness, all of which traits have assisted him add value to various Boards and Organisations he has been or is currently involved in.